SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
Washington, D.C. 20549
Pursuant to Section 13 or Section 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
Date of Report (Date of earliest event reported): September 19, 2018
DRAPER OAKWOOD TECHNOLOGY ACQUISITION, INC.
(Exact name of registrant as specified in its charter)
|(State or other jurisdiction
incorporation or organization)
|(Commission File Number)||(I.R.S. Employer|
Draper Oakwood Investments, LLC
55 East 3rd Ave.
San Mateo, CA
|(Address of principal executive offices)||(Zip Code)|
Registrant’s telephone number, including area code: (713) 213-7061
(Former name or former address, if changed since last report)
Check the appropriate box below if the Form 8-K filing is intended to simultaneously satisfy the filing obligation to the registrant under any of the following provisions:
|☐||Written communications pursuant to Rule 425 under the Securities Act (17 CFR 230.425)|
|☐||Soliciting material pursuant to Rule 14a-12 under the Exchange Act (17 CFR 240.14a-12)|
|☐||Pre-commencement communications pursuant to Rule 14d-2(b) under the Exchange Act (17 CFR 240.14d-2(b))|
|☐||Pre-commencement communications pursuant to Rule 13e-4(c) under the Exchange Act (17 CFR 240.13e-4(c))|
Indicate by check mark whether the registrant is an emerging growth company as defined in Rule 405 of the Securities Act of 1933 (§230.405 of this chapter) or Rule 12b-2 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (§240.12b-2 of this chapter).
Emerging growth company ☒
If an emerging growth company, indicate by check mark if the registrant has elected not to use the extended transition period for complying with any new or revised financial accounting standards provided pursuant to Section 13(a) of the Exchange Act. ☐
Item 2.03 Creation of a Direct Financial Obligation or an Obligation under an Off-Balance Sheet Arrangement of a Registrant
On September 19, 2018, Draper Oakwood Technology Acquisition, Inc. (the “Company”) issued an unsecured promissory note (the “Note”) in the amount of $575,000, representing $0.10 per public share, to Draper Oakwood Investments, LLC (the “Sponsor”). The Sponsor deposited such funds into the Company’s trust account (the “Trust Account”), as described in the prospectus filed by the Company in connection with the Company’s initial public offering. As a result, the period of time the Company has to consummate a business combination has been extended by three months to December 19, 2018.
The Note bears no interest and is repayable in full upon consummation of the Company’s initial business combination.
A copy of the Note is attached as Exhibit 10.1 to this Current Report on Form 8-K and is incorporated herein by reference. The disclosure set forth in this Item 2.03 is intended to be a summary only and is qualified in its entirety by reference to the Note.
Item 8.01 Other Events
A copy of the press release issued by the Company announcing the extension of the period of time the Company has to consummate a business combination is included as Exhibit 99.1 to this Current Report on Form 8-K.
Item 9.01 Financial Statements and Exhibits
Pursuant to the requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the registrant has duly caused this report to be signed on its behalf by the undersigned hereunto duly authorized.
Dated: September 20, 2018
|DRAPER OAKWOOD TECHNOLOGY ACQUISITION, INC.|
|By:||/s/ Aamer Sarfraz|
|Name: Aamer Sarfraz|
|Title: Chief Executive Officer|
THIS PROMISSORY NOTE (“NOTE”) HAS NOT BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933, AS AMENDED (THE “SECURITIES ACT”). THIS NOTE HAS BEEN ACQUIRED FOR INVESTMENT ONLY AND MAY NOT BE SOLD, TRANSFERRED OR ASSIGNED IN THE ABSENCE OF REGISTRATION OF THE RESALE THEREOF UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OR AN OPINION OF COUNSEL REASONABLY SATISFACTORY IN FORM, SCOPE AND SUBSTANCE TO THE COMPANY THAT SUCH REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED.
Principal Amount: $575,000.00
Dated as of September 19, 2018
New York, New York
Draper Oakwood Technology Acquisition Inc., a Delaware corporation (“Maker”), promises to pay to the order of Draper Oakwood Investments, LLC or its registered assigns or successors in interest or order (“Payee”), the principal sum of Five Hundred Seventy Five Thousand Dollars ($575,000.00) in lawful money of the United States of America, on the terms and conditions described below. All payments on this Note shall be made by check or wire transfer of immediately available funds to such account as Payee may from time to time designate by written notice in accordance with the provisions of this Note.
1. Repayment. The principal balance of this Note shall be payable on the earliest to occur of (i) the date on which Maker consummates its initial business combination and (ii) the date that the winding up of Maker is effective (such date, the “Maturity Date”). The principal balance may be prepaid at any time, at the election of Maker.
2. Interest. This Note shall be non-interest bearing.
3. Intentionally Omitted.
4. Application of Payments. All payments received by Payee pursuant to this Note shall be applied first to the payment in full of any costs incurred in the collection of any sum due under this Note, including (without limitation) reasonable attorney’s fees, and then to the reduction of the unpaid principal balance of this Note.
5. Events of Default. The following shall constitute an event of default (“Event of Default”):
(a) Failure to Make Required Payments. Failure by Maker to pay the principal amount due pursuant to this Note within five (5) business days of the Maturity Date.
(b) Voluntary Bankruptcy, etc. The commencement by Maker of a voluntary case under any applicable bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, rehabilitation or other similar law, or the consent by it to the appointment of or taking possession by a receiver, liquidator, assignee, trustee, custodian, sequestrator (or other similar official) of Maker or for any substantial part of its property, or the making by it of any assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the failure of Maker generally to pay its debts as such debts become due, or the taking of corporate action by Maker in furtherance of any of the foregoing.
(c) Involuntary Bankruptcy, Etc. The entry of a decree or order for relief by a court having jurisdiction in the premises in respect of Maker in an involuntary case under any applicable bankruptcy, insolvency or other similar law, or appointing a receiver, liquidator, assignee, custodian, trustee, sequestrator (or similar official) of Maker or for any substantial part of its property, or ordering the winding-up or liquidation of its affairs, and the continuance of any such decree or order unstayed and in effect for a period of 60 consecutive days.
(a) Upon the occurrence of an Event of Default specified in Section 5(a) hereof, Payee may, by written notice to Maker, declare this Note to be due immediately and payable, whereupon the unpaid principal amount of this Note and all other amounts payable hereunder, shall become immediately due and payable without presentment, demand, protest or other notice of any kind, all of which are hereby expressly waived, anything contained herein or in the documents evidencing the same to the contrary notwithstanding.
(b) Upon the occurrence of an Event of Default specified in Sections 5(b) and 5(c) hereof, the unpaid principal balance of this Note and all other amounts payable hereunder, shall automatically and immediately become due and payable, in all cases without any action on the part of Payee.
7. Waivers. Maker and all endorsers and guarantors of, and sureties for, this Note waive presentment for payment, demand, notice of dishonor, protest, and notice of protest with regard to this Note, all errors, defects and imperfections in any proceedings instituted by Payee under the terms of this Note, and all benefits that might accrue to Maker by virtue of any present or future laws exempting any property, real or personal, or any part of the proceeds arising from any sale of any such property, from attachment, levy or sale under execution, or providing for any stay of execution, exemption from civil process, or extension of time for payment; and Maker agrees that any real or personal property that may be levied upon pursuant to a judgment obtained by virtue hereof, on any writ of execution issued hereon, may be sold upon any such writ in whole or in part in any order desired by Payee.
8. Unconditional Liability. Maker hereby waives all notices in connection with the delivery, acceptance, performance, default, or enforcement of the payment of this Note, and agrees that its liability shall be unconditional, without regard to the liability of any other party, and shall not be affected in any manner by any indulgence, extension of time, renewal, waiver or modification granted or consented to by Payee, and consents to any and all extensions of time, renewals, waivers, or modifications that may be granted by Payee with respect to the payment or other provisions of this Note, and agrees that additional makers, endorsers, guarantors, or sureties may become parties hereto without notice to Maker or affecting Maker’s liability hereunder.
9. Notices. All notices, statements or other documents which are required or contemplated by this Note shall be: (i) in writing and delivered personally or sent by first class registered or certified mail, overnight courier service or facsimile or electronic transmission to the address designated in writing, (ii) by facsimile to the number most recently provided to such party or such other address or fax number as may be designated in writing by such party and (iii) by electronic mail, to the electronic mail address most recently provided to such party or such other electronic mail address as may be designated in writing by such party. Any notice or other communication so transmitted shall be deemed to have been given on the day of delivery, if delivered personally, on the business day following receipt of written confirmation, if sent by facsimile or electronic transmission, one (1) business day after delivery to an overnight courier service or five (5) days after mailing if sent by mail.
10. Construction. THIS NOTE SHALL BE CONSTRUED AND ENFORCED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF NEW YORK, WITHOUT REGARD TO THE CONFLICT OF LAWS PROVISIONS THEREOF.
11. Severability. Any provision contained in this Note which is prohibited or unenforceable in any jurisdiction shall, as to such jurisdiction, be ineffective to the extent of such prohibition or unenforceability without invalidating the remaining provisions hereof, and any such prohibition or unenforceability in any jurisdiction shall not invalidate or render unenforceable such provision in any other jurisdiction.
12. Trust Waiver. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, Payee hereby waives any claim in or to any distribution of or from the trust account (the “Trust Account”) established in connection with Maker’s initial public offering (the “IPO”), and hereby agrees not to seek recourse, reimbursement, payment or satisfaction for any claim against the Trust Account for any reason whatsoever; provided, however, that upon the consummation of the initial business combination, Maker shall repay the principal balance of this Note out of the proceeds released to Maker from the Trust Account.
13. Amendment; Waiver. Any amendment hereto or waiver of any provision hereof may be made with, and only with, the written consent of Maker and Payee.
14. Assignment. No assignment or transfer of this Note or any rights or obligations hereunder may be made by any party hereto (by operation of law or otherwise) without the prior written consent of the other party hereto and any attempted assignment without the required consent shall be void; provided, however, that the foregoing shall not apply to an affiliate of Payee who agrees to be bound to the terms of this Note.
[Signature Page Follows]
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, Maker, intending to be legally bound hereby, has caused this Note to be duly executed by the undersigned as of the day and year first above written.
|DRAPER OAKWOOD TECHNOLOGY ACQUISITION INC.|
|By:||/s/ Aamer Sarfraz|
|Title:||Chief Executive Officer|
Draper Oakwood Technology Acquisition, Inc. Confirms Receipt of Sponsor Funds To
Extend Period to Consummate Acquisition
New York, New York, September 19, 2018 — Draper Oakwood Technology Acquisition, Inc. (the “Company” or “Draper Oakwood”) (NASDAQ: “DOTA,” “DOTAU,” “DOTAR” and “DOTAW”) today announced that the Company’s sponsor (the “Sponsor”) has deposited into the Company’s trust account (the “Trust Account”) $575,000, representing $0.10 per public share. As a result, the period of time the Company has to consummate a business combination has been extended by three months to December 19, 2018.
The Sponsor will have the option, but no obligation, to extend such term one additional time by an additional three months, to March 19, 2019, by depositing an additional $575,000 into the Company’s trust account, representing $0.10 per public share, in connection with such additional extension.
About Draper Oakwood
Draper Oakwood is a special purpose acquisition company formed for the purpose of effecting a merger, capital stock exchange, asset acquisition, stock purchase, reorganization, or similar business combination. On September 4, 2018, Draper Oakwood announced it had entered into a definitive agreement to combine with Reebonz Limited, an online marketplace and platform for buying and selling new and preowned luxury products in the Asia Pacific region. For further information about such transaction, please refer to Draper Oakwood’s SEC filings.
This press release contains statements that constitute “forward-looking statements,” including the funding of the Trust Account to further extend the period of time for the Company to consummate an initial business combination, if needed. Forward-looking statements are subject to numerous conditions, many of which are beyond the control of the Company, including those set forth in the Risk Factors section of the Company’s annual report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”). Copies are available on the SEC’s website, www.sec.gov. The Company undertakes no obligation to update these statements for revisions or changes after the date of this release, except as required by law.
Draper Oakwood Technology Acquisition, Inc.
Aamer A. Sarfraz